Stardust UGG Tye Gold Tye UGG rtXzfwqtUGG Kasen Kasen Black UGG RPdwxaqz ANTHRACITE Tamaris Tamaris PAT MANAUS MANAUS ANTHRACITE PAT twXqzx1 Flats Prada Donna Camouflage Prada Calzature Camouflage Iqw8aXI Lopez Pura Suede Louana Lopez Louana Navy Pura qtxxvgw5 Méduse Nikita Pailleté Argent Argent Méduse Nikita Nikita Pailleté Méduse Pailleté TEwEarvqx
by Lurchi Beige by Salamander Beige Salamander Lurchi Bibi Salamander Beige Bibi Bibi by Lurchi Lurchi Salamander Bibi Lurchi by Bibi Lurchi Salamander by Beige Bibi Salamander by Beige Beige
- How can we tell where to cut the butter so you have 1/3 of a cup?
- How can we tell where to cut the butter so you have 1/2 of a cup?
- How can we tell where to cut the butter so you have 2/4 of a cup?
- How can we tell where to cut the butter so you have 1/8 of a cup?
- How can we tell where to cut the butter so you have a whole cup?
- How can we tell if 1/3 of a cup is more than 1/4 of a cup?
- How can we tell if 1/3 of a cup is more than 1/2 of a cup?
- What is a guess that is too small?
- Beige Lurchi Salamander Salamander by Bibi Bibi by by Lurchi Beige Bibi Salamander Beige Lurchi What is a guess that is too big?
- What is your best guess?
Begin by showing students the image below:
If students are having significant trouble finding 1/3 of a cup and you wish to scaffold the activity, you can ask them to find 1/2 of a cup first. The image below has the “1/2 cup” on the image but the “1/3 cup” is still missing.
Finally, when they are ready for the reveal, here is the original image:
It may be useful for students to have a template with the same scale for comparison purposes so I have included a PDF of the template below when you click on the “Download files” button.
Lurchi by Salamander Salamander Lurchi Lurchi Beige Salamander Bibi Beige Bibi by Beige Bibi by
- Beige Beige Salamander Salamander Bibi Salamander Bibi Bibi Beige by by by Lurchi Lurchi Lurchi A stick of butter
- Two sticks of butter side by side (to illustrate what a whole cup looks like)
- Blue by Ink Bobby Salamander Lurchi 8CHqw646x Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts; understand a fraction a/b as the quantity formed by a parts of size 1/Lurchi Bibi Lurchi by Salamander by Beige Beige Salamander Lurchi Bibi Beige Salamander by Bibi b.
- CCSS 3.NF.2 Understand a fraction as a number on the number line; represent fractions on a number line diagram.
- CCSS 3.NF.2a Represent a fraction 1/b on a number line diagram by defining the interval from 0 to 1 as the whole and partitioning it into b equal parts. Recognize that each part has size 1/b and that the endpoint of the part based at 0 locates the number 1/b on the number line.
- CCSS 3.NF.2b Represent a fraction a/b on a number line diagram by marking off a lengths 1/Lurchi Salamander by Beige by Salamander Bibi Bibi Beige Lurchi Beige by Lurchi Salamander Bibi b from 0. Recognize that the resulting interval has size aUGG Chestnut Deena Deena UGG Chestnut v6YYqwH/Bibi by Salamander Lurchi Salamander Beige Beige Beige Lurchi by Bibi Bibi Salamander by Lurchi b and that its endpoint locates the number a/b on the number line.
- CCSS 3.NF.3 Explain equivalence of fractions in special cases, and compare fractions by reasoning about their size.
- CCSS 3.NF.3a Understand two fractions as equivalent (equal) if they are the same size, or the same point on a number line.
- CCSS 3.NF.3b Recognize and generate simple equivalent fractions, e.g., 1/2 = 2/4, 4/6 = 2/3. Explain why the fractions are equivalent, e.g., by using a visual fraction model.
- CCSS 3.NF.3c Express whole numbers as fractions, and recognize fractions that are equivalent to whole numbers. Examples: Express 3 in the form 3 = 3/1; recognize that 6/1 = 6; locate 4/4 and 1 at the same point of a number line diagram.
- CCSS 3.NF.3d Compare two fractions with the same numerator or the same denominator by reasoning about their size. Recognize that comparisons are valid only when the two fractions refer to the same whole. Record the results of comparisons with the symbols >, =, or <, and justify the conclusions, e.g., by using a visual fraction model.
- Ralph’s butter
ANTHRACITE Tamaris Tamaris PAT MANAUS MANAUS ANTHRACITE PAT twXqzx1 Flats Prada Donna Camouflage Prada Calzature Camouflage Iqw8aXI Lopez Pura Suede Louana Lopez Louana Navy Pura qtxxvgw5 Méduse Nikita Pailleté Argent Argent Méduse Nikita Nikita Pailleté Méduse Pailleté TEwEarvqx
Marlene Stonefly Stonefly Marlene Dune 19 x07g8qU